On Monday I posted some crazy-looking feathery birds and promised to show you how to make them. Here it is. By the way, I’m really sorry for the (even more than usual) bad pictures I took in the last time. My camera is broken and I usually use my boyfriend’s one, but he’s on vacation and took it. My roommate kindly lent my her camera, but I just don’t seem to be able to take a sharp picture with it and the lack of sunshine didn’t exactly help, since I don’t like to use flash. But taking my camera to repair is on my to-do-list today. I hope they can fix it.
- Two polystyrene balls or cotton wool balls, a big one (about 8cm) and a small ne (about 4cm)
- Craft feathers and craft feather boas in different colours
- paint (I used acrylics)
- not pictured: black felt tip
- brown paper
- Stick a toothpick into the balls and paint them. Let dry. (It really helps if you have a plank flooring with large gaps between the planks. It’s perfect to hold the balls while drying…)
- Stick the small ball on top of the big one using the toothpick you already put in. The small one should sit on top but slightly offset to the front of the big one. The toothpick already stuck in the big ball should be facing down in an angle, forming the tail of the bird.
- Stick in two more toothpicks to the points where the wings should sit.
- Now comes the fun part. Decorate your bird by gluing long feathers to the toothpicks forming the wings and the tail and pieces of feather boa anywhere else you like. If the toothpicks show through the feathers you could paint them in a matching colour.
- Paint on the eyes and patterns using black felt tip. Cut a diamond shape out of the brown paper and fold it in half, forming the beak. Glue the fold of the beak onto the small ball.
- To hang it, cut a piece of thread and do a knot at one end. Stick the pin through the knot and put the pin into the bird. You’ll probably have to try where to stick it best, depending on in which position you want the bird to “fly”.
If you have any questions or comments…well, leave a comment.
Have a great day!